· The Applications System Engineer acts as an automation consultant to customers and is responsible for determining requirements, product selection, customer operational recommendations, and for supporting proposal generation for potential customers.
· The successful candidate will define best practices, develop automated solutions, and enable customers to perform application-specific tasks. This position supports the network sales team by assessing customer sites, applications, and assisting with customer presentations.
· It requires day-to-day interaction with internal/external sales management, sales, engineering, product development, and customers. May have project management responsibility for small projects or subsets of large projects.
· Duties may also include and are not limited to PLC and HMI programming, system commissioning, system support, internal/external training and technical consultation.
· Travel anticipated to be up to 30 - 50%, including internationally as needed.
· Lead initiatives to continuously improve autonomous material transfer
· Understand customer needs for future feature developments, generate requirements documents, and drive to completion among application engineering, product management and engineering teams
· Develop, document, and implement applications for customers
· Identifies and quantifies proposed customer benefits and creates, utilizes, and maintains tools to quantify these benefits.
· Travels to customer sites as needed to study and gather information critical to the overall system.
· Develops AutoCAD layout drawings of AGV travel routes.
· Determines external control requirements for proposed AGV systems (i.e. WMS, WCS, ERP, PLC, etc.).
· Works with partners to develop complete hands-free material transfer solutions.
· Supports sales team with pre-qualification and technical assessments of customer requirements and automated material handling solutions.
· Defines and documents best practices for these activities and works to continuously improve them.
· Trains other employees and partners and advocates for this process.
· Safe operation of forklifts that have lift heights up to and in excess of 40 feet.
· Position requires a Bachelor's degree in an applicable engineering field or computer science, with 1-5 years of engineering experience preferably in the Material Handling Systems industry.
· Systems integration or networking exposure is preferred. Controls programming and setup experience is a plus.
· Has the ability to plan, organize, and carry out technical activities. Competent in applicable PC applications. Works effectively in groups.
· Possesses effective written and oral communication skills. Has the ability to present technical material to a technically diverse audience.